Sunday, July 5, 2009

Sorry, no pictures yet.

I can't upload pics from here, so none to share yet, but I've taken a LOT already. We just got in to Nashville a little while ago, so while Mike regroups and rests a bit, I went in search of a computer. Had to have a facebook/internet fix!

Horse Progress Days in Indiana was not what I expected, but it was really interesting. I was expecting a heritage days kind of thing, but it was more like a farm expo for the Amish. I've never seen so many Amish people in one place. It was a sea of straw hats and suspenders. The equipment there was very high-tech horse drawn farm equipment. Like big round New Holland hay balers with hydraulics and everything. They use gasoline powered generators for a lot of the equipment, and propane gas powered refrigeration and cooking in their homes. I thought that was very interesting. There were over 10,000 people expected to attend the event during the two days, and it was packed on Friday. However, it was rainy on Saturday, so the crowd was pretty thin.

There were horses everywhere! Probably between 100-200. Some were in harness and several people were horseback. They ran horse drawn shuttles from the parking lot, had car-parkers on horseback, and even had a horse drawn concession wagon. And acres of buggy parking. The highlight, though, was the homemade ice cream. They had 5-gallon freezers hooked up to a generator running constantly. It was good! I sampled it a couple of times.

It rained all day and all night yesterday, so we didn't get to see any fireworks celebrations. I was hoping to get some pretty fireworks photos, but no such luck. Next year I guess. We just chilled out in the motel and watched James Bond last night. Pretty exciting, huh? At least we didn't have to watch a cowboy movie. haha.

Well, I'm off to wake up the old man and get him moving so we can experience Nashville! More later.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go ahead...you know you want to.